Thursday, March 04, 2010

2010 Oscar Nominees--Actress in a Leading Role: Gabourey Sidibe in Precious:Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire

41st Annual NAACP Image Awards - Arrivals

Gabourey Sidibe’s mother is an R&B gospel singer and her father a Senegalese taxi driver. She is born in Brooklyn and grew up in Harlem.

In Precious, Gabourey Sidibe (26) plays a pregnant teenager who struggles to overcome the years of abuse from her parents. In the film the über-Diva Mariah Carey has a critically acclaimed role as a social worker and she can be seen totally devoid of glamorous artifice. 
Sidibe’s debut role in Precious led to her first Academy Award nomination. Although in the film she can be seen as a depressed teenager with low self esteem, this cannot be further from her real personality. She is quoted as saying: “I learned to love myself, because I sleep with myself every night and I wake up with myself every morning, and if I don't like myself, there's no reason to even live the life.”

Gabourey Sidibe nominated for best actress for 82nd Academy Awards in Beverly Hills
Gabourey Sidibe in Precious.